Celebrating Hardship, Remembering Redemption


Holidays have meant far less to me since graduating from school. Maybe it’s because the nature of hospital schedules means your lucky to get a holiday off, let alone the days around it that make that time with family so special. I also just get lost in the weeds when it comes to blending cultural and religious celebrations. I’m not of the “put Christ back in Christmas” ilk, I’ve just always had a hard time really connecting with the few religious holidays that many mainstream American Christian Churches celebrate, and I think that I’m beginning to understand why.

I celebrated a Messianic Passover Seder this year for the first time. It is a blending of a traditional Jewish Seder with the Christian belief that God’s promise of a savior was fulfilled in Jesus. Many have told me that it was a very meaningful and thought provoking experience, but due to lack of invitation and maybe some concern over cultural appropriation, I’ve never participated. This year, with a little nudge from my wife, I decided I would give it a try.

It was a somewhat awkward affair in many ways. Many of those at the table were strangers to us, though we all attended the same church. There was lots of jokes to break the tension that comes with a scripted meal eaten with strangers drawn from a tradition that none of us grew up in. However, it was also beautiful: a slow symbolic walk through God’s promises in the book of Exodus. I have no knowledge or authority to speak on the millennium of traditions rooted in this celebration, but I can tell you that it left an unusually strong impression on me.

I was struck particularly with the acknowledgement of suffering and pain that was so essential to the story. Salt water to represent tears and bitter herbs to represent the terrible hardship of slavery are served as part of the meal. They are a reminder that life is a mixed bag, and that redemption is sweet because we remember what we have been saved from. An essential part of Passover is remembering the two hundred years of slavery the Israelites endured before being redeemed. How many tears where shed? How many where born and told of the prophecy of God’s deliverance, and then ultimately died before seeing those words fulfilled? How many lost faith, or struggled to believe while suffering daily under the torment of their oppressors? Why is God so slow? Will he ever remember us? These questions asked over and over again for centuries, but the prophecies were still told and the hope remained. Their memories were long and their faith was deep, trusting that God is at work while letting Him see the tears that were shed in the waiting.

At the end of the meal we were sharing our reflections and it occurred to me that I’ve never really celebrated hardship before, certainly not in a formal way. During Easter we acknowledge “Good” Friday and The Passion, but it is primarily a focus on the end of the story, the victorious resurrection. Christmas is all about the coming salvation, our God sending his son as an act of love to live among us. There are more traditions in the High Church that lead us through these seasons, but those were mostly lost to me in my upbringing in an evangelical church. In my experience there was very little focus on our suffering as a people, a people who needed God’s intervention. I think our memories are shorter than the Israelites because of this. We want to focus on the victory, the salvation, our reborn selves without the waiting and longing that is most of our lives.


Short memories produce weak faith. I find that the longer I live the more opportunities I have to see God’s faithfulness carried out. I can remember how I wrestled with wanting to be married and the difficult journey full of the many heartbreaks before I met my amazing wife. I remember how lost and alone I have felt in different seasons only to eventually be brought into community and purpose. If I let my memory lapse, if I forget those times of pain, then I will suffer without hope when the inevitable loss that we experience in this world breaks upon my life again. However, if I remember God’s faithfulness, reflecting regularly on the depth of pain and hardship God has already delivered me from, I will grow in faith and conviction that my deliverer is coming. There is beauty in hardship, sweetness in pain, and tenderness in being broken. Let us remember each tear we shed in the waiting while we hope, yearn, and ultimately believe that God sees us and will redeem our hurt for his Glory just as he has for our ancestors.

Comments