Blanc


From all that I had heard I expected a city in ruins. Almost three years after the disastrous quake which served as a spear in the side of the poorest country in the western hemisphere, I expected mostly rubble and vast fields of tents. And there were certainly some of both, but as I sped through the city perched on the back of a flatbed truck, I was struck by how similar Port-au-Prince looked to many other developing cities I have seen over the years. The roads bore the same chaotic winding nature, garbage filled most ditches, and the districts each blossomed with vibrant colors and activity. Vendors were set up every ten feet trying to entice the numerous delivery men and patrons that ambled between businesses. Tap tap drivers called out destinations as they tried to fill the covered benches lining their truck beds. It is a city full of life, but with the memory of death in vacant lots where houses once stood.

We were a medical team of seventeen working with a Haitian NGO called Mountain Top Ministries (MTM) that has been serving the small village of Gamrothe just outside Port-au-Prince for a decade or more. The village is quite literally carved into the mountain side, accessed by a single road which climbs the seven hundred feet to the school in less than half a mile. Each day we wandered down the opposite ridge where our lodging was and began the short but arduous climb to the clinic which sits just below the courtyard for the school buildings. A tall steeple brought from an abandon church somewhere in the breadbasket of the United States stands over the courtyard, a symbol to this community of gratitude and worship. Normally, the branding of the cross bothers me. We slap it on buildings, cars, even our own skin, hoping that a symbol will say all that we ourselves are too afraid to share with others. But here it tells a story, one that everybody in the village knows.

It is the story of a man who went hiking one day up this very hillside. As he climbed through the village he was struck by the poverty of the people and the hardship of their circumstance. The village had no drinking water, no electricity, and only ramshackle homes. Overseeing the village were several Voodoo priests who had places of worship set up across the hillside. Central to their rituals was a spring that welled up a little ways above the village, a spring whose waters were sacred and therefore withheld from all but the priests. This man saw that this was not God’s plan, so he went and bought many hundreds of feet of pipe, tapped the spring, and let it flow down into the village for the people’s use. With the water he brought the Gospel and it wasn’t long before the priests were forced from the village. The man founded a church that has expanded into the school and clinic that is there now. His name is Willem, and as the story suggests, he is a force to be reckoned with.

I first heard of him in an email prior to our trip. The email warned that he had some very specific guidelines about how the clinic would be run that he expected to be followed during our visit. I was suspect of this, but had no desire to upset the six year relationship the group I was part of had with MTM. Once I met Willem in person my suspicions grew. I am used to gentle and humble pastors, men and women who put you at ease with their peaceful nature. He is none of these things. Willem is proud, strong, quick to correct, and passionate with a voice that commands attention. He is an advocate for his people and a bulwark against the onslaught of good intentions from the developed world. I was frustrated by him at first, annoyed at being given such a rigid framework in which to do my job. Why, I wondered, if we had the shoes to give the barefoot child, did he want us to withhold them. Why not give out every spare piece of clothing, every tooth brush, and every toy? These people were clearly in need, so let me help them.

I didn’t understand until one evening after dinner when he sat at the piano next to me as I played the guitar. Our talk of music drifted into him sharing his story, and the story of his people. He shared of Haiti’s pride in being the first free black nation in the modern world and how they had flourished for many years following their independence. It was a nation made of former slaves finally free of their European masters, but legalized slavery is not the only way to keep a nation in chains. France, not long after granting Haiti its independence in 1804, demanded reparations for the economic losses it suffered as a result of the war. The sum took Haiti more than 120 years to repay totaling $22 billion in today’s dollars. Economic policies and political upheaval created by the United States and Europe continued to cripple Haiti’s development driving the once proud and productive nation, rich in natural resources, into dependence on foreign aid. For years before the earthquake the good intentions of the west undercut the Haitian economy. Food aid and cheap rice have all but driven many Haitian farmers out of business. The story is just as well told in the clothing you see. It looks as if half the country is dressed in American handy-downs, with kids running around in Pink Floyd shirts, not because it’s fashionably retro, but because it was free. And local garment makers can’t compete against free. We think we are helping, Willem explained to me, but we are driving Haiti’s economy into the ground. So why does he not want me to give shoes to that boy who could clearly use them? Because free handouts have enslaved his nation for a second time, and he is trying to teach these children not to depend on the west, but to depend on God. Where there are needs, they are met, but always in a way that empowers the people of Gamrothe and not subjugates them.

Walking down the road that leads to the valley floor, before the climb to the clinic, a group of young men selling fried bread call out “Hey blanc!”, and I am suddenly reminded of my whiteness. This is a common phrase to get white people’s attention here, but after my talk with Willem I am even more acutely aware of what it means. I am used to being the source of attention as I’ve traveled in Central and South America. My skin tone suggests I have money to spend or simply makes me a curiosity. Either way being white tends to garner smiles and interest, but for the first time in Haiti I find that I am greeted just as often with indifference or even suspicion. White men have been “helping” Haiti for decades to no effect, so what does one more matter. I cross the dry river bed and begin my climb up the steep rutted road cognizant of my privilege, fixated on what brought me here to begin with. What were my intentions and what might their consequences be that I never anticipated. As I crest the hill I see a long line of mothers, children, and the elderly waiting patiently outside the clinic. I am suddenly thankful that I have Willem to oversee our work here, grateful that he can guide us in navigating the tough road of what it means to “help” his people. Where many other NGOs have harvested only bitterness and frustration from their work, God has used him to create a trusted and respected haven of health and education for his people. It is comforting to know that here I am just God’s tool to love and be loved by God’s children. On this day in the clinic I take a mother’s three-week old child into my arms to weigh him and my heart melts. I hope that this child will someday see a different nation, a nation that no longer needs medical teams from the west, but is staffed by Haitian doctors and nurses. I understand then, more clearly than ever why I am here. I am just a stand in, a humble milepost to God’s continuing work here and for this my heart is filled with thankfulness.

As I watch the water bubbling up from one of the fountains in Gramothe I am reminded that God sent his son to set us free. In our independence we chose death, never understanding that the more we struggle for our own way, the more we bind ourselves in chains to a world beyond our control. But just as God used a man to free this village from the grip of self-serving priests, so he used Jesus to free us from our selfish ways. The trick is to remember where the spring comes from. We are made to be dependent; at the mercy of a vast and dangerous world, we were made with needs that God might fill them. Freedom is found not in rebellion against his hand, but in accepting his mercy and releasing control of our lives to him.

My prayer then, as I remember Haiti, is that it be set free from all the helping that has enslaved it and that it would find its freedom in dependence on God’s daily provision.


Addendum:

I was sharing these thoughts with a group of friends today along with some statistics surrounding the billions of dollars donated to Haiti for relief efforts after the earthquake, and it occurred to me that I should repeat some of those here as well.

Of the $2.4 billion that has been spent so far in Haiti only 1% has been given to the Haitian government and only 0.25% has been given to Haitian NGOs like MTM which know the needs of their people better than anyone. The vast majority of the funds were spent by large Western NGOs or by the United States who used a third of its aid money to pay itself for sending US troops following the quake. Another equally large chunk of aid money donated at the beginning of the relief effort has never been spent and just sits in the coffers of these NGOs. While I am not saying that in the immediate wake of the disaster organizations like the Red Cross did not do great work in providing food and shelter to the Haitian people, I do believe that as we move into recovery there are better places to spend our charitable dollars. My friends asked how then we should help Haiti. The truth is that I don’t fully know, but to me that means that I should direct my money to people who do know, and I think your best shot is Haitian NGOs. I believe in the work MTM is doing and would gladly support their ministry. Other organizations are equally as worthy, but it does take some investigation and talking with people who’ve been to find out which ones. The other suggestion I have is investing in microloans. Developing countries are full of entrepreneurs and their economies aren’t saturated with big chains like ours are. Invest your money to help them start a small business through a reputable micro lending program (like kiva.org) and find satisfaction in knowing you are empowering somebody.

For more on how aid money has been spent in Haiti:

Mountain Top Ministries Website:

Comments